[Wine] Re: using several wine versions from .deb packages?

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at dougshost.invalid
Mon Mar 19 00:47:03 CDT 2007

Joerg Hoehle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Wine documentation says that it can be installed anywhere, locate its
> libraries and just run.  This is certainly true for self-compiled
> sources which could e.g. be run from their compiled location.
>
> I wonder if this is also possible with pre-built Debian/Ubuntu binary
> packages.  Normally, Debian installs exactly one version of a package
> in /usr/.
>
> Is there some possibility to use multiple versions concurrently, e.g.
> dpkg -i --root=/home/wine9.09 wine0.9.19.deb
> dpkg -i --root=/home/wine20050725 wine20050725.deb
> or something similar?  Does anybody have experience with this?
>
> How to mix/match both a regularly installed wine in /usr and a local
> one in /home and be sure /home/wine does not use /usr/wine?
>
> /home/wine9.09/bin/wine foo.exe > log1
> /hmoe/wine2005/bin/wine foo.exe > log2
>
> That would be valuable for regression testing.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Jorg Hohle

I ran wine-git then copied the result into a directory called "wine-test"
and ran it from there for regression testing: see
http://wiki.winehq.org/GitWine  The top-level directory contains a symlink
to bin/wine.

In direct answer to your question, as I am using an RPM distro, I really
can't.  But it is quite possible to run "./configure --prefix=/usr/local"
which is the default for Wine, for one version and "./configure
--prefix=/usr" which is the default for my distro (Mandriva) for another,
and then specify which executable you want on the command line.  This
involves an actual installation.  What I did above omitted the "make
install" step.  It looks as though your suggestion should work, provided
you can run dpkg that way.  Have a look at man dpkg.  Debian seems to have
man pages for everything, many more than I have.

HTH somehow,

Doug.
--
If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your
enemies.