[Wine] Re: Again...

Daniel Skorka skorka at gmx.net
Mon Mar 19 00:47:11 CDT 2007

Hladir <brunnmer at yahoo.de> wrote:
> "You do realize that the only point of wine on PowerPC is to run
> winelib
> programs specially compiled for PowerPC (though they should come
> packaged with wine) or to compile something yourself with winelib?"
>
> ... I'm completely new at this, and the only reason I`m installing wine
> is to use Matlab (have the windows version) and some other stuff...

Ok.
Short explanation: It won't work. Don't waste your time trying.

Long explanation: Matlab (as well as anything else available for
windows) has been compiled for the x86 architecture. That means the
program has been turned from source code (usually C or something
similar) into machine code. This code differs from architecture to
architecture. The only way to run a given executable on a different
architecture is to use an emulator which completely emulates the
behaviour of the needed system at the bits and bytes level. Since Wine
Is Not an Emulator, it won't do for you.

Daniel