[Wine] Re: Found the patch that breaks my app. Now what?

Daniel Skorka skorka at gmx.net
Mon Mar 19 00:47:24 CDT 2007

roboknight <roboknight at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, so I spent a lot of time locating the patch that prevents me from
> moving my application, GSAK, from 0.9.16 to the latest version of wine.
> I spent a lot of time recompiling different bisected versions of wine
> in order to do just that.  I even submitted a bugzilla report.  As it
> turns out, it was the patch I suspected when I first started.  It seems
> that the dependency on the Mozilla Active X control was removed about
> 06/30/06 ... That's when my application wouldn't run with wine any
> longer.  It seems that patch causes some message to get passed to
> shdocvw which isn't handled.  Because it isn't handled, an exception
> occurs later that crashes the application.
>
> So the question is this:  I know what causes the problem.  I do not
> believe the solution is to "add the functionality back"... while I
> could do that, it must have been taken out for a reason.  So the
> question is this:  What now?  Does anyone have a workaround?  I could
> wait until wine gets enough new infrastructure that these messages are
> handled, but that seems a long way off as it has to do with the
> PropertyPage interface, which doesn't really appear to be there.  There
> is some work there regarding property pages, but not enough to allow my
> app to work.
>
> Is there a way to get the funcitonality that was removed by removing
> the dependency on the Mozilla Active X control without "un-patching"
> that from the latest version?
>
> Running: Fedora Core 5, GSAK 6.6.3 (a delphi 5 app),  breaking wine
> versions > 0.6.16, bugzilla 6151 for additional info (debug log and so
> forth).

Wow, you really seem to have spent quite some time on this; good work
too. I (and propably most of us here) do not really feel qualified to
answer your question about a workaround to this, were are mostly users
ot developers after all. However, right at the end of the bug comments
there's one saying that native shdocvw works. Is that an option for you?

Daniel