[Wine] Re: No License error message when running MSAccess via Wine

David Dawson beagleseven7777 at yahoo.ca
Mon Mar 19 00:49:52 CDT 2007

Robert McLean wrote:

> Does any one out there running MicroSoft Access 97 get this message
> when they try to run it via Wine ?
>
> "Microsoft Access can't start because there is no license for it on
> this machine"

> Any idea how to clear this error message ?
>
> Thanks.

While we're on the topic of license problems,
I just tried to install (fresh .wine directory) Office 2000, which installed
previously with not much problem.
Now it fails (partially) with a message that the key is invalid. (this key
was accepted previously). It goes ahead in the installation but only
installs a few things, missing amoung others, Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
It does install some Access and other files.
A re-install attempt will  not get any further and an uninstall does not
work.

Wine version is 0.9.23, compiled from sources
OS is Debian Testing, upgraded to latest.
No underlying Windows install.

Office 2000 CD is a legitimate one that was given to me, without the product
key, so Wine could be right about the key being invalid, but as mentioned
before, it previously did install and partially does now.

In any case, I'm not interested in using Microsoft Office; I just want to be
sure it will install (for somebody else).
Yes, I understand that Crossover Office should be able to handle it, I just
want some indication that Wine can too.
--
If you wrestle in the mud with a pig.
you both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

-- Dave Dawson