[Wine] Some strange window bahviour with Papyrus in wine

Paul Williamson paul.williamson at zetnet.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 00:49:53 CDT 2007

Hello

(I hope this is the correct group for this post - if not I am sure you
will tell me where to go :-))  )

I use wine 0.9.23-12.1 in Suse 10.1 on my laptop to run Papyrus (a word
processor originally written for the Atari platform and now available for
Windows).

I have been very pleased with recent versions of wine as it seems now to
be working almost perfectly for Papyrus :-)

However, I have noticed in these two more recent versions that if I select
"allow the window manager to manage created windows", then I get some
difficulties.

If I open a few document windows, then change the topped window using the
panel at the bottom of the screen, then I can have problems using the
menus on that topped window, and sometimes also the menu shortcuts.  So
cntrl/s may not do the save for instance, and also, after using cntrl/o to
call the file selector to open a file, then deciding not to open it, the
topped window may have changed to the window for the last document that
was opened, rather than staying as the one I was using.

If I select the window I want to use from the Papyrus menus, I do not get
the problem.  Alternatively, if I choose to "emulate a virtual desktop",
then again I don't get the problem.  However, I prefer not to use that as
the minimising of the windows seems to work poorly- strange graphics, and
they overlapo each other.

I don't know if this has only just started with these recent versions, as
it is only now that I have got the laptop, that I have started to use
Papyrus on a daily basis.

Does anyone else have similar problems ?

Cheers

Paul (W)