[Wine] Re: Planning first Linux/Wine install

jhansonxi at gmail.com jhansonxi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:50:02 CDT 2007

anandpursahibwale at yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm planning my first Linux/Wine install.  Is there any advantage to
> having a Windows (say W2K) partition to install Win apps to, when the
> plan is to run them under Wine/Linux?

Not really.  Wine doesn't use local DLLs unless overrides are set.

> I do have a licensed copy of W2K, so I could do that if it were an
> advantage (e.g., is it easier to install difficult or unruly win apps
> under windows first?).

Only if the installers fail but in most cases you also need the
registry entries.

> Any other suggestions (I'm planning out my partition sizes on a blank
> 73GB SCSI HD now).

Since Wine is installed in your home directory there really is no
difference to a normal Linux install unless you want to dual-boot Win2K
and Linux.  There is a security advantage to installing Windows apps
under a separate account in a different home directory but it depends
on how paranoid you are.  I would never install IE in my normal home
folder for instance.  For IE or Office you may want to use an emulator
like QEMU or VMWare to host a Win2K install in a virtual file system.
The guest OS filesystem would then be stored in a single large file
that you can simply overwrite from a backup when some virus turns it
into a pr0n spam server.

> Actually, I did install Linux successfully once about 7 years ago, but
> I didn't use it.  I'm giving up on OS/2 after 13 years, and don't
> really want to rely on W2K, though I may need to use MS Office and a
> few other win apps on occasion.
>
> Thanks
> APSW

Don't forget to try out FOSS alternatives to your Win apps.  It will
eliminate a lot of legacy overhead.