[Wine] Re: Half Life 2 fails to run in recent releases

charlie charlie.herron at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:50:09 CDT 2007

charlie wrote:
> I'm stuck with wine-0.9.19.  Each release since then seems to run Steam
> okay, but then when Steam launches HL2, it fails to load at various
> points.  Anyone else noticed this or know what's going on?
>
> If someone could make a suggestion for which debug level to enable that
> would be helpful.  Thanks.

I finally figured out why it wasn't working.  With wine 0.9.19 my Steam
command line used "-dxlevel 90" and it worked fine.  I think for
subsequent releases this wouldn't work, and so I used "-dxlevel 70"
instead.  It works great now.  In fact, it looks and sounds better than
it ever did.  (According to my cpu meter, my current configuration also
spends a lot less time working in the kernel and more in userspace.)