[Wine] Re: Directory names in Wine patches do not match actual dir names

Udo Kuhnt 048321887-0001 at t-online.de
Mon Mar 19 00:50:18 CDT 2007

Segin wrote:

> This is something to do with the automatic patching system -- There
> isn't a real directory a/ or b/ on the system generating the patches --
> it's a quirk on the patch-generating portion of the revision control
> system. (CVS, for example).
>
> You'll find the same thing on almost every single upgrade patch for
> almost every project. It's just par for the revision control system.

Sorry, but I think you are mistaken - Wine is the only project so far
where I have seen this, and though I have been applying Wine patches
for the last seven years or so, I have never seen this before v0.9.19.

Also, I have been using the diff and patch utils in my own projects
before, and they always use the names of the directories that I create
the difference patch from.

So this definetely *has* changed. The question is just why the patches
are no longer created from the same directories that are used for the
creation of the tar archives, and if there is any reason for this.

To me, it seems to be highly illogical to use different directory names
for the same Wine version in the source tarball and the patch. Also, I
would think that 'Wine-0.9.xx' is a *much* better name for a directory
than 'a' or 'b'. Besides, even if the script would automatically choose
such a brain dead name, it would probably be the preferred solution to
change this with another script *before* releasing the patch files than
having everyone who downloads them to fix this themselves.

Regards,

Udo Kuhnt