[Wine] Windows Media under Wine?

Sindwiller sindwiller06 at nerdshack.com
Mon Mar 19 00:50:19 CDT 2007

Hello folks!

First of all, I want to say that I am very statisfied of the Wine
project. It's a very nice program, very stable and and fast for most
common applications and/or games and is developing very fast. As an
ex-user of Cedega, i'm very happy to have my Windows-games and -apps
running under Linux using free software (and without paying a cent :P).

But there are still a few problems. It's obvious that there isn't
software without bugs.

For example, i want to run X3:Reunion (Steam-Installation). It needs at
least an installed WMP9 to work properly. More precisely, it uses WMV
movies and WMA sounds/soundtracks. Now, I installed WMP9 properly using
the HowTo in the AppDB
(http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=1449) but X3 still
won't play those WMV's/WMA's.

My question is now: Is it possible to implement Windows Media into Wine
directly, without installing WMP? And, is there a workaround for my
problem (without buying a Windows License...?).

Thank you.
Friendly regards, Sindwiller