[Wine] Newbie Problem: need Windows Printer Driver?

rainer gemauer at web.de
Mon Mar 19 00:50:19 CDT 2007

Hi friends

I just started using wine on my Linux-machine. Mostly because I want to
switch finally from Windows to Linux on my computer at work. There is just
one single application I want to "take with me" and that is "GraphPad
Prism" (http://www.graphpad.com/prism/Prism.htm).
So I installed  wine0.9.20 on my Mandriva2007. Then I used wine to install
Prism in its most recent version. Everythings fine, Prism starts, but I
cant open any old file or even blank cheets.
A quick google-research showed me that Graphpad knows the Problem (or a
similar one (http://www.graphpad.com/faq/viewfaq.cfm?faq=815):

-- Quote:
Whenever you create a new file or open an existing one, Prism communicates
with the printer driver to get information about page size and margins. A
bug in a few printer drivers causes Prism to crash at this point. Prism can
also crash if your default printer is a network printer that is not
available.
Also note that Prism 4 does need to find some printer driver. If you are
running a computer that is not connected to any printer, that's OK, but you
have to choose a printer driver anyway to make Prism 4 happy. You don't
need a printer itself, just install and choose a driver (any one will do).
-- Endquote

So it seems, that Prism is running OK, but has a problem with the (missing)
printerdriver. I tried Wordpad, which is printing quiet fine, so the build
in driver is working, but Prism can't see it or something :-)

Most of the tutorials in the net are describing how to print at all or to
print with a special printer, but I couldn't find anything that describes
how to show the emulated application a "windows"-printerdriver.
I installed the driver for my printer (Brother HL-1430) via the driver-CD
and the setup there, but that did not work.

perhaps somebody here can point me i the right direction?

thanks
Rainer