[Wine] Re: Directory names in Wine patches do not match actual dir
048321887-0001 at t-online.de
Mon Mar 19 00:50:20 CDT 2007
Duane Clark wrote:
> Udo Kuhnt wrote:
> > Hello,
> > when I tried to apply the patches for the recent Wine versions, I
> > noticed that in all patches released in the last weeks, the dir names
> > do not match the names in the source code tar archives. So, for
> > example, if the source code had been unpacked into Wine-0.9.18, the
> > patch to upgrade it to v0.9.19 would use 'a' and 'b' instead of
> > 'Wine-0.9.18' and 'Wine-0.9.19' as dir names.
> There has been a recent shift in the last couple of months from using
> CVS as the primary revision control system, to using git. And apparently
> that is how git does things (I certainly am not with git, though). And
> the developers have clearly stated that in the future, all revision
> control will be done with git, so you might as well get used to it ;)
Has git not already been used for at least a year or so? Well, I do not
really care which version control system the developers use, since I do
not use that git stuff, anyway. I just wonder why they do not create
the patches from the same directories that they use for creating the
source tarballs. And as I have just verified, those do *not* install
the Wine source code in a directory named 'a'.
> You don't need to rename directories. Copy a patch of that format into
> the top level directory of the Wine tree you want to patch, and execute:
> patch -p 1 < thepatch
> The "-p 1" says to ignore the leading 'a' or 'b' or whatever.
Well, that would be even more awkward and involved than having to
rename the directory to 'a' before applying the patch. And it does not
really provide a reason for using that stupid 'a' and 'b' stuff in the
first place. Nearly anything I could think of would be better than just
using 'a' and 'b' as dir names for the old and new version. Preferably
the actual version numbers, of course, so one could not accidentally
apply the patch to the wrong version.
So far, the only solutions I have found are to either rename the
directories to 'a' before applying the patch, or fix the patch files
myself before applying them so I dot have to do this again, but I
really do not see why this problem exists in the first place. No
version of the diff utils I have ever seen uses that 'a' and 'b' stuff
automatically, and no other project seems to use this meaningless
naming scheme for their release versions, either.
I had hoped that somebody who is responsible for creating the
difference patches would respond to my question, but apparently the
only people who are reading this do not know the answer themselves, and
pure speculations do not help to solve this problem, either.
More information about the wine-users