[Wine] Re: Wine for command line only

linuxcoder1 at gmail.com linuxcoder1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:50:58 CDT 2007

Mike Dee wrote:
> Dennis <dtempleton-at-virginia-dot-edu> wrote in
> news:455e0eca$0$32410$c3e8da3 at news.astraweb.com:
>
> > I think I have a very simple question but I can't find an answer
> > to it. I need to run one command line windows executable with no
> > dlls on my MacPro.  Runs fine under Parallels/xp, but I would like
> > to run it under the bash shell script from the Mac/Unix terminal.
> [...]
> >
> > What am I missing, should I  move this or a central program to the
> > bin file?  Should I build it separately from this binary?
>
> You would probably be better off installing the open source Bochs
> x86 emulator or payware Virtual PC from Microsoft
>
> For Bochs on OS X go here:
> http://mac.sofotex.com/download-126022.html but for a more upto date
> release get it here:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=12580&package_id=17475&release_id=215733
>
> For Virtual PC go to microsoft.com
>
> You didn't mention if your executable was pure DOS
> or requires Windows to be installed. Either way,
> with an emulator, you'll need an OS installed to run the CL
> app.
>
> --
> dee

You could also try Q:
www.kju-app.org
I've had good luck with that.  Only problem: it doesn't go much faster
than about 750MHz on my 1.83 Core Duo MabBook.  That should still be
enough to run most programs under Windows 98/95.  I do run wine, but
unless you are interested in development, I wouldn't recomend using it
as an End User.  Hope this helps.

--Brian