[Wine] Re: Wine runs only once per X-session

Tomi Pieviläinen tpievila at cc.hut.fi
Mon Mar 19 00:51:13 CDT 2007

Daniel Skorka wrote:
> Tomi Pieviläinen <tpievila at cc.hut.fi> wrote:
> >> winecfg at least probes your OpenGL setup, so it is being used in this
> >> case.
> >
> > But it works (complaining) even without acceleration.
>
> I' sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "it works
> (complaining)".

It means that winecfg gives a warning about missing acceleration on the
commandline, but will still start (as it actually doesn't require 3d).
Which
makes sense since wine can run 2d apps without acceleration.

> > This was actually quite interesting test. I thought, because all games
> > start
> > fullscreen on my CRT and refuse to go to fullscreen on my LCD even if I
> > have
> > the focus there, that only my CRT has acceleration. But testing in
> > windowed
> > mode, I actually get better FPS on my LCD.
>
> This is incompatible with your statement that you only have acceleration
> on one head, unless your card is able to switch which head is accelerated
> on-the-fly.

Umm, yes. I did state otherwise before. That is why I explained what
made me
think it was one head acceleration only - I hadn't tried any games on
windowed
mode.

> > More likely there is something special about xinerama that wine doesn't
> > take into account, so it works only partially.
>
> wine-0.9.24 has been the first release to include Xinerama support. What
> I think is happening is that wine somehow screws up Xinerama (the NVidia
> drivers might be involved, NVidia has a history of releasing buggy
> drivers), and that this has to be undone by a reset of the X server.
> A thought that occured to me: After you have run winecfg, and 3D no
> longer works, could you make sure there are no processes related to wine
> left? I.e., look at the output of ps axf and kill everything that looks
> like wine.

No wine running whatsoever.

I'd think that there is no problem in the NVidia drivers either, since
native games
work and have always (as long as I've tried) worked with Xinerama. Also
older
versions of wine had the same problem, so any added functionality have
made
no difference. Maybe something is still missed in the Xinerama support.

Then again, it would be useful to know if anybody else has these
problems for
example with ATI cards in Xinerama.