[Wine] Re: DC++ problem

Daniel Skorka skorka at gmx.net
Mon Mar 19 00:51:53 CDT 2007

magus kent <nobody at spamcop.net> wrote:

People that ask for help in this NG and label themselves as linux and/or
wine newbies typically share the following characteristics:

1. They are unaware there is a native program that does what they want.
2. They tend to blindly follow any howto they can find, never mind the
wine version it is for, or unusual setups the writer used. Which can
lead to putting the DLLs into ~/.wine/fake_windows even though they
first had to create that directory.
3. If the howto mentions ~/.wine/config, they will try to use it.

You labeled yourself as a newbie, yet you balk at being considered a
newbie.

> who may deign to answer my plea (sarcasm).

Thank you for this hint. I cannot detect sarcasm if it is not clearly
labeled as such.

> Second.  The more information, even if not germane, the
> better.  Different Win versions = different dlls as far as I
> know.

I assumed that you had a reason for mentioning your Windows version. You
didn't say the reason, so I asked.

> Finally.  Yes. Outdated.  Please point me to a current How-to

The point is that a method that was correct 2 years ago can now be worse
than doing nothing. For example, not replacing comctl32.dll seems to
work better.

Daniel
--
Before you post: