[Wine] Re: Using smart cards with IE6 and Wine?

david at quanterium.zzn.com david at quanterium.zzn.com
Mon Mar 19 00:51:55 CDT 2007

Daniel Skorka wrote:
> Huh. In that case, one will need to implement a wrapper, like the one
> for scanners. Whether or not that is an easy task depends on the
> similarity of the two APIs.

Apologies for the duplicate post previously; Google Groups was
presenting an error which implied the messages didn't go out.

I have no idea how to implement a wrapper, but I do know the .so
implements PKCS#11 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PKCS11).  I'm not sure
how things work on the Windows side though.  There is an ActivClient
.dll that can be used the same way the .so is on Linux
(c:\windows\system32\acpkcs201.dll) to setup Firefox, but I'm not sure
if IE uses it or does something else; the ActivClient installer
configures it automagically.  One step that is different is that for IE
it is necessary to manually import the certificates using the
"ActivCard Gold Utilities" application, whereas Firefox picks them up
off the card directly.

Unfortunately, the ActivClient software (from ActivIdentity) isn't free
software.  However, their Linux software seems to be mostly versions of
the open source packages ccid and pcsc-lite, maybe that can give some
insight into how this all works.