[Wine] documentation for beginners ?`

richard noel fell fell at brandeis.edu
Mon Mar 19 00:52:12 CDT 2007

Is there any documentation that instructs a beginner how to configure
(and the logic behind) wine and the steps necessary to install windows
software? I have the user's guide but it does lack much, particularly
what is going on.

I am using ubuntu 6.06 and have presumably installed wine correctly.
However, I cannot configure the system. A typical error message is, upon
invoking winecfg, is:
Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.
Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not
accessible.Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working
directory '/home/rfell', star ting in the Windows directory.

Any help is more than appreciated.
Thanks,
Dick Fell

Richard N. Fell