[Wine] Re: documentation for beginners ?`

David Rowell djrpublic at cfl.rr.com
Mon Mar 19 00:52:13 CDT 2007

In order to have Synaptic "automagically" update Ubuntu 6.06 LTS version
of Wine you will have to edit the file '/etc/apt/sources.list' to
include a different repository.  If I recall correctly this is how its
done - correct me if I'm wrong folks!

First make a backup copy of the file - just in case.
Then edit the file:  [sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list]
   1 - put a # in the first character of any lines referencing wine to
"comment them out" [you may not have any]
   2 - add the following 2 lines to the end of the file [copy & paste
works fine] and save it
      deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt dapper main
      deb-src http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt dapper main

Start Synaptic and click Reload.  Then make a search for wine.  Select
and update wine & libwine.  I'd suggest also installing wine-dev &
libwine-dev which may well be needed by some programs.

I also second Danile's suggestion of becoming friendly with the o/l
documentation.  My repository suggestion is in the site there somewhere.

Dave Rowell