[Wine] Problem accessing files on mounted .iso?

andrej.slavik at gmail.com andrej.slavik at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:53:06 CDT 2007

Hi everyone!

I'm a Linux newbie (running Ubuntu Edgy), and even newer to Wine, but
anyhow ... My problem is the following: I've been trying to start up an
old Win 95 game -- Curse of Monkey Island 3, if you remember it -- and
have the two CDs on my hard drive as .iso image files. So, I mount the
first CD to make it accessible, and then add it as drive d: in the
dosdevices folder. All right: it shows up as d: in wine, and the
installation programme fires up just fine. It's after the installation
is complete that my troubles begin.

First: when I try to run the game from the launcher menu the way you're
supposed to, it tells me I have to install the DirectX drivers that
come with it (version 5.0). But when I start the DirectX installer, it
says I've already got the proper drivers installed. Anyhow, I choose to
reinstall them -- successfully, but to no avail! The program still
won't start, telling me to install the drivers. Wierd?

But still, this could be a bug in the launcher applet. So I sneak
around it and start the real program .exe file manually. Everything
seems fine at first, the screen goes blank as if the game is about to
begin -- but then skips back to the desktop with an error message: it
can't seem to find a certain file it needs on the "CD" (my .iso file
assigned to the d: drive letter). But the file is there! So, why
doesn't the program find it? Could it have anything to do with d: not
being a real CD drive?

The program searches for the file on the same device as it was
installed from, and I did install it from d: -- but perhaps it detects
it as something else? Any theories?