[Wine] Re: Winemaker - Visual Studio 6.0 package

Duane Clark junkmail at junkmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:53:54 CDT 2007

Rickshaw wrote:
> I am trying to get a rather large C++ program written in visual studio
> 6.0 to work on a linux system. I have installed the wine libraries and
> it runs just fine using:
>
> wine <executable name>
>
>  However, I would like to be able to compile the program using
> winemaker on my linux box. Winemaker runs smoothly. However, the
> makefile generated by Winemaker in the root directory has all kinds of
> problems and wont compile.

Questions about winemaker/winelib should be directed to the wine-devel list.

> Also, would the executable produced by
> winemaker be executable without wine? In other words could I ftp the
> code created by the makefile to another machine without wine and run
> the newly created windows application from that linux box?

No, you still need Wine. Winelib/winemaker are really only useful in
porting apps to a non-x86 platform. And now that Macs are x86, and
SolarisX86 is (once again) freely available, the usefulness of winelib
has dropped considerably in my opinion.