[Wine] Re: Wine Crashes X11

Robert M. Riches Jr. spamtrap42 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 19 00:54:25 CDT 2007

On 2007-02-03, edercarneiru at gmail.com <edercarneiru at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I'm using SuSE 10.2 on a x86 system. I was previously using suse 10.1
> and wine was working fine. When I upgraded,  i could not get wine
> working again. Everytime i try to launch it, using any windows
> program, it simply crashes x11 and i get back to xdm login screen. I
> can not put more info here since i don't know how to get them. Does
> wine save any log or something like?

My guess would be your X server and/or graphics card drivers
are causing the X crash.  No matter what an application
does, the X server should not crash--at least in theory.
Check /var/log/messages and /var/log/Xorg.0.log or whatever
your X server log file is.  There may be something there.

One thing that might solve the crashes would be to disable
DRI/DRM and/or other acceleration options.  Your X config
file would be the place to make those changes.  Of course,
make a backup copy first.

If Suse has the option of booting to a text console rather
than XDM, that can avoid some chicken-and-egg problems while
playing with X config stuff.  With Redhat-related systems,
you use runlevel 3 rather than runlevel 5 to do that, then
use startx to start an X server.

HTH

--
Robert Riches