[Wine] winecfg/pixel shading -> not working, various Steam (CS:S) ?s

wakeboarder3780 at gmail.com wakeboarder3780 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:55:32 CDT 2007

wine version: 0.9.22
application  : Steam (CS:S)

I realize these are game related questions, but they directly relate
to wine so I am hoping to find some answers here.

INTRO:  I am working on installing CS:S with wine vs 0.9.22.  It's
installed and I can connect to online games, but every time sound is
played on the game, my fps drops to 10 fps (this is almost all the
time).  If I run to a corner away from everyone where there is no
shooting or footsteps and I look quickly around the games is playable
(about 30 fps) not great, but playable (I run constant 100 fps in
windows).

1.)  A troubleshooting page I read said to try disabling the pixel
shader to gain fps.  As this was a good suggestion it somehow made the
game play much worse  I now pull about .1 fps.  When I ran winecfg
again to try to set it back, it check's the box just fine.  Even If I
run winecfg again to see that it "saved" my setting, it shows it is
still checked.  However when I enter a game, the pixels aren't shaded,
and the fps are still .1.  I even went into the user.reg file in my
USER/.wine directory and found the line:

[Software\\Wine\\Direct3D] 1172848535
"PixelShaderMode"="enabled"

Is there a known problem / fix for this that I just can't find?

2.)  At least in my opinion I think this is a sound related error.
When I try to load the audio tab in winecfg it chugs for about 5
seconds and gives me this "error":
error loading jack library libjack.so
then it says something about loading a default one for me.

3.)  I can only run Steam from root.  If I run it from my user i get a
huge long error I'm sure you are all familiar with.  What permissions
on what files do I need to change so I may run the command:
WINEDBUG="fixme-all" Steam.exe

Anyways, it sounds like this error might be the source of my
problems.  What can I do to fix it?  In the game it seems like the
sound processing just can't keep up, so it is slowing down the fps.
If anyone knows ANYTHING about these issues, please let me know.