[Wine] Re: Application crashes when opening a graphics window under Wine

dank daniel.r.kegel at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 22:24:38 CST 2007

On Mar 1, 4:36 pm, j... at febo.com wrote:
> I am trying to run a Win32 application, Stable32, under wine.  This
> application does analysis of numeric data files and can plot the data
> to the screen.  When it does this, it opens a new window for the plot.
>
> Under wine, the application starts just fine and the basic functions
> seem to work, but every time I try to use one of the plot functions,
> the application crashes.  This is the message it leaves behind:
>
> wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address
> 0x4c2543 (thread 0009), starting debugger...

We need to know what the app was doing right before the
crash.  Often running with
  WINEDEBUG=+relay wine stable32.exe > log.txt 2>&1
will get us the info we need.  log.txt is often quite large
so it's best to compress it with e.g. bzip2 before sending
it.  And it's best to *not* send that to the newsgroup;
rather, send it straight to an interested developer (like me)
or file it as an attachment to a bug report at bugs.winehq.org.

> 1.  I ran an earlier version of the program under an earlier version
> of wine without this problem.

Which version?  It helps to know what was the latest
version that actually worked.
(BTW the vendor's web site even mentions Wine:
http://www.stable32.com/Stable32UnderLinux.htm
but the info there looks about four years old. )

> 2.  The DLL files that the application uses are a mix of upper and
> lower case.  Is wine case sensitive when loading DLLs?

Nope.   MiXeD case is fine.

> 3.  The application seems to open in separate windows under wine.
> When running under Windows, it uses the more typical single window
> with subwindows inside.  Might it be possible to tell wine to open the
> application in a "single window" model?

I'm not familiar with how that works, so I don't know.

For more tips on how to help us help you, see
http://winehq.org/site/howto
- Dan