[Wine] Graphics problem with old W95 game (Panzer General 2)

aarondesk aarondesk at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 23:46:28 CST 2007

Hello all,
Ubuntu (Dapper) newbie here. I installed Ubuntu two days ago. Also
installed Wine. Wine appears somewhat ok. I installed and can run
Filezilla. I also have a windows game (Steel Panthers World at War)
that installed ok, and appears to play ok, though the movement is a
little slow and a little choppy.

Anyways, I'm trying to run a W95 game, Panzer General 2. The Wine site
says it works fine. http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=1242

I was able to get the game running by changing to a Virtual Desktop
and it loads to the main menu screen fine. However, after I start a
scenario, the game loads up with the game control menu, but the
central part of the screen where the map of the scenario should be
doesn't change. It just stays the same graphic as the previous main
menu screen. Clicking on the button to look at the strategic map
crashes the game. Basically it appears anything with some bit of
graphics doesn't work.

I've changed Emulation to W95 for the program, and also played with
the Video modes, but none of this helps. Any ideas? It looks like a
video problem. From the below error message, I'm wondering if I can
change to an 8-bit window for the game to work.

Here's the output in the terminal.

    aarondesk at aarondesk-desktop:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/panzer2$
wine panzer2.exe
    err:secur32:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is
outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path.
    fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_GetAvailableTextureMe m (0x16ead0) :
stub, simulating 64MB for now, returning 64MB left
    fixme:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_SetCooperativeLevel (0x16e130)-
>(0x50024,00000011)
    fixme11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP
from 32 to 8
    fixme:d3d_surface:IWineGDISurfaceImpl_Blt Can't handle DDBLT_WAIT
flag right now.

The above part is what loads when I run the game. The below message
appears when I try to access the strategic map, which crashes the
game.

    wine: Unhandled division by zero at address 0x44b469 (thread
002f), starting debugger...
    Unhandled exception: divide by zero in 32-bit code (0x0044b469).
    Register dump:
    CS:0073 SS:007b DS:007b ES:007b FS:0033 GS:003b
    etc. etc. I get 1/2 page of what look like memory registers.

Any ideas what I can do to fix this problem?
Thanks,
Aaron