[Wine] Re: Help creating a shortcut in wine

mike.clarkson at baesystems.com mike.clarkson at baesystems.com
Fri Mar 16 10:21:04 CDT 2007

On Mar 16, 7:20 am, "dank" <daniel.r.ke... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 14, 6:09 pm, mike.clark... at baesystems.com wrote:
>

> > Can anyone help me with how to create a windows shortcut in wine? I
> > want to create windows shortcuts on a Linux box that windows clients
> > can then access. I'm trying to use wine to allow me to create the
> > shortcut on the Linux box. I'm using the wine-0.9.31 version of wine
> > on Fedora Core 5. I've tried two approaches, both fail.
>
> > I've tried using an autohotkey script. This script runs in wine and
> > creates a shortcut, but the shortcut has no target, and wine returns
> > the below fixme error. This script works fine on a windows box.
>
> > Here is the script:
> >    #NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future
> > AutoHotkey releases.
> >    SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior
> > speed and reliability.
> >    ; %1% (argument #1) - shortcut target (include the full absolute
> > path)
> >    ; %2% (argument #2) - name of the shortcut, include the .lnk
> > extension
> >    ; check to make sure that the correct # of parameters were passed
> > in
> >    if %0% < 2
> >    {
> >      MsgBox This script requires 2 parameters but received %0%.
> >      ExitApp
> >    }
> >    FileCreateShortcut, %1%, %2%
>
> > Here is the error:
> >    Z:\home\mike>"C:\Program Files\AutoHotkey\AutoHotkey.exe"
> > create_shortcut.ahk "Z:\home\mike\test.txt" "shortcut_test.txt.lnk"
> >    Z:\home\mike>fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented
> > action: 8192 (SPI_GETFOREGROUNDLOCKTIMEOUT)
>
> > My other approach was to use VBScript to create a shortcut. See
> > Bugzilla Bug 7659 onhttp://bugs.winehq.org/
>
> Please file this as a bug (or as a comment to bug 7659).
> Can you explain your network setup a bit?  Are you
> running this script on a Samba server with Windows clients attached?
> - Dan- Hide quoted text -

Currently I'm just attempting a proof of concept of successfully
creating a Windows shortcut from a Linux OS, so I'm running FC5 within
VMWare.

The end setup will use network attached storage (NAS) running both
CIFS and NFS servers. Windows clients will connect to the NAS via CIFS
to access files. A Linux server will connect to the NAS via NFS.
Windows clients can also connect to a web server running on the Linux
server to request access to files on the NAS. Processes on the Linux
server will set up the files on the NAS in order to allow access to
the Windows client requesting access, including creating Windows
shortcuts to the files requested. The shortcuts are used to provide a
central access point for the Windows client to files spread across
many file systems. We don't want to allow the Windows clients any
write capability to the NAS, only read, so we want processes on the
Linux server to be able to create the Windows shortcuts. We can't use
Linux soft-links because the Windows clients can't use Linux soft-
links.