[Wine] Wine version confusion

Jim Showalter jshowalter at spam.gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:50:32 CDT 2007

I am using Wine 0.9.24, which is shown as the most recent version
on the WineHQ site at http://www.winehq.org/.

But I notice that some submissions in AppDB show the submitter as
using higher versions of Wine, such as an Ubuntu 6.06 user claiming
to use Wine 0.9.9.  And indeed, when submitting/editing entries in
AppDB, the built-in version choices have a whole range above 0.9.24
- from 0.9.3 to 0.9.9.

Someone in live-chat said he was running Wine 9.9 in Mandriva Linux.
I asked him to enter "wine --version" and he said that it returned:
"Wine 0.9.9".

Is this version mangling by some Linux distros, or what?

--
I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe and
  what I believe - I believe what I believe is right. -George W. Bush