[Wine] Re: ACCESS application in wine

Duane Clark junkmail at junkmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:51:33 CDT 2007

Frank Busse wrote:
> Hi Duane,
>
> the application is a special vocabulary trainer with German language
> interface, newly installed from scratch to an empty .wine dir. The app
> is somewhat outdated and runs fine on a native Win98 system.
>
> The app starts and runs up to a screen for selecting input or query.
> Input of new vocabulary works fine. In administration mode, newly input
> data is shown to be in the database.
>
> When selecting query the app yields a message "Data type mismatch in
> criteria expression" (message in English, though presumably not from the
> app itself) and refuses to show the database contents. (Yes, the data is
> formally correct. ;-)

How much effort do you want to put into getting it to run? Probably an
old app intended to run under Win98 can be made to run under Wine
without too much trouble. Since it is an old program, I don't suppose a
trail version is available on the web somewhere.

If you want to spend a bit of time, you might want to open up a bug on
it, and post in this thread the bug number. I would be interested in
seeing if it is a problem in reading the database files.

As an idea of things you might end up doing, probably the first step
would be to set an environment variable to get relay traces:
export WINEDEBUG=+relay
Then run the program, redirecting the output to a file:
wine myprogram.exe >& wine.log
That will probably make your program run very slow, and wine.log could
become 100s of MBytes, so plenty of disk space and a fast computer help.

Once the problem happens, exit the program. See if the error message is
in the log file:
grep "Data type mismatch" wine.log
If it is, the lines before that might give some clues to what the
program is doing, and which DLL is the problem.

Is this a path you are interested in taking?