[Wine] Re: wine hangs up the system.

littlebrowncow at gmail.com littlebrowncow at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:53:47 CDT 2007

Hans wrote:
> Hello
>
> I just installed Wine on my Fedora Core 6 using YUM. I can run winecfg
> but when I try to launch any app, including the notepad (included with
> Wine), the whole system freezes and I have no choice than pressing the
> "reset" button.
> It shows no error msg, only reads the HD for a while and then hangs.
> My PC is P IV with 512 MB and a S3 ProSavage video card.
>
>          greetings,
>
>                 hans

I'm getting similar problems on my machine. After installing wine, I
tried running apps from the Applications menu.  Nothing worked. After a
few times my machine would become unresponsive.  I disabled Desktop
Effects and that seemed to help.  Now, whenever I run an app from the
Desktop it causes Gnome (Desktop and Panels) to stop responding, but
other running apps still work.

Launching winecfg from Terminal gives me the following output:

[brian at localhost ~]$ winecfg
wine: creating configuration directory '/home/brian/.wine'...
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
Failed to open the service control manager.

I've let winecfg run for an hour, it never comes back from there.  It
also creates a temporary .wine folder so every time winecfg runs again
it tries to create a new .wine directory.

Wine version is at 0.9.29.  I've tried uninstalling wine through yum,
running yum clean all and yum update, and reinstalling.  No help.  I
also tried wiping out ~/.wine between installs and starting over.  This
is a brand new FC6 install.

Any ideas?

- Brian