[Wine] Re: World Of Warcraft and Wine... A success story

MCR mcr.mameSFILT at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:54:20 CDT 2007

Mike Dee wrote:
Snipped

>>> So: Running WoW from within Wine using files copied into your
>>> linux file structure didn't work, but running WoW within Wine
>>> using files installed on a windows partition which is mounted as
>>> FAT32 does work? Is that right?
>>>
>> Yes.  Except that its NTFS not FAT32.  I have no idea why
>> following the guide didn't work (In fact I followed 2 guides,one
>> of them had me downloading DLL files too),  I admit to being a
>> little new to all this, and have followed guides before, like the
>> one to enable NTFS drives and running virtual machines.   Maybe it
>> is a solution for other people too who are trying to do the same
>> thing.
>
> Congratulations for "thinking beyond the square" and getting this game
> to work properly - if only for your son's pleasure and your sanity :)
>
> This probably should be read in 'comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine' too
> so I'm x-posting it over to there, with follow-up to set to there
> also.
>
> Cheers.

Thank you.  The reason I mentioned it wasnt to gloat, although I am
pretty pleased with myself.. ha ha.. it was because I cannot be the only
one who has this game and has Windows as a dual boot.  The only small
issue is that Beryl cannot be running with the accelerated window
manager, but switching to Metacity while leaving beryl running is good
enough.

I also have NTFS read/write access to my C partition (obviously I guess)
using NTFS-3g
--
MCR
MAME - History In The Making