[Wine] Re: Wine crashes the whole system with 3D games

Daniel Skorka skorka at gmx.net
Mon Mar 19 00:54:42 CDT 2007

Roger-BH <rogeriovinhal at yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> After crashing, pinging here seemed fine, I couldn't try ssh because I
> found out that sshd was not installed here. And Sysrq + Alt + r didn't
> work, probably because I am using a custom compiled kernel, I may have
> turned it off (or not turned it on, what is more plausible).

That inidicates your system did not in fact crash, just the console got
really messed up.

> (EE) AIGLX error: dlsym for __driCreateNewScreen_20050727 failed (/usr/
> lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so: undefined symbol: __driCreateNewScreen_20050727)
> (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

I really don't like the look of that. It may be normal for the fglrx
drivers, but I still don't like it.
Anyway, as Robert pointed out, wine itself isn't really able to do crash
your PC (or the console).
It seems that wine is just exercising a part of fglrx that Doom 3 isn't.
The fix therefore must be done within your video driver.

Daniel
--
Read the Wine FAQ: http://winehq.org/site/docs/wine-faq/index
Read the Wine User Guide: http://winehq.org/site/docs/wineusr-guide/index