[Wine] Re: Interesting problem getting wine onto my computer

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Wed Mar 21 03:04:33 CDT 2007

Wednesday March 14 2007 02:09、allans at mail2web.com さんは書きました:
> Thanks Daniel,
> I forgot to say that we currently connect the mobile to our laptop
> with a DKU5 data cable and plan to do the same our Ubuntu desktop.
> What are the native solutions for using GPRS with Linux (we looked at
> GPRSEC but it does not support any Bangladesh mobile communications
> providers) and how do you get the PC to recognise the phone and cable,
> if you use them?

	It is not possible (as far as I know) to not support GPRS provider. GPRS is
simple modem. If you use serial port then it will work as standard serial
modem. If you use usb data-cabel make sure you have corresponding kernel
module. If you use bluetooth (this is what currently I use most of the time
with Nokia and Siemens phones) - everything should work perfectly.
	Personally I tried a lot phones under Linux: many Nokia models, Ericsson,
Samsung, Siemens and some others. ALL of them work under Linux perfectly
throw IR, USB, Bluetooth (if phone supports this). I never tried GPRS support
under Windows (because I don't have one installed at all).
	If your kernel have problems with USB data-cabel (it doesn't recognized) make
sure you have enabled "USB Serial Converter support" and all corresponding
modules there.
	Please note that you don't need special programs to use GPRS! Only
theoretically possible exception are software modems but these are extremely
rare and you shouldn't buy phone that have one; but actually I never seen
(and even don't know of) phones that havn't hardware modem so this is
unlikely to be the case. Standard pppd should work perfectly for you. You can
find more information (hopefully) after googling for "PHONE_MODEL Linux
pppd". You can try similar model names of similar phones if you didn't find
useful information but usually this approach works well for Linux newbies who
want GPRS and most models of popular cell phones.

	P.S. My situation is actually very simiral to yours because I'm leaving in a
village where only radio communications are possible so I'm using GPRS with
one-way sattelite Internet access. Using one-way sattelite Internet with GPRS
very cheap and fast.