[Wine] Lotus Notes and Daylight Saving Time

Goesta Smekal goesta.smekal at wiener.hilfswerk.at
Wed Mar 21 15:01:40 CDT 2007

Hi Folks,

   how do you handle the change from standard time to daylight saving time?

   We are using LotusNotes 6.5.1 and Wine 20041019 on Kubuntu 5.10
Breezy Badger. This is the combination where we experienced the least
amount of Bugs.

   Our hosts run UTC on the hardwareclock and live in the timezone
Europe/Vienna, which will change from CET to CEST on sunday.

   Tests have shown, that calendar entries will get shifted one hour
after DST started. If you open an entry there is an info, that the event
is located in a different timezone.

   From a Windows point of view this is perfectly normal, because
Windows changes the hwclock to the new version of localtime on every DST
event. It doesn't change the timezone it lives in because there is no
need to.

   Linux on the other hand takes care about DST in software. (compare
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/TimePrecision-HOWTO/index.html )

   And so LotusNotes gets confused. You can even create the time shift
effect, if you change the timezone using tzconfig on the fly.

   This is very annoying and I cannot imagine there is no viable
solution out there ...

   Goesta