[Wine] OpenGL problems with X terminal over VNC

Paul Jackson sa212+wine at cyconix.com
Wed Oct 3 05:18:53 CDT 2007

I normally run my linux box without a monitor, with an X terminal
running on a PC (I actually use WinAxe, not VNC). The box has no fancy
graphics and no audio.

I've just installed wine, and my app runs fine if I attach a monitor
(apart from the odd 'fixme', which I assume is expected). However, if I
run it over WinAxe, I get lots of these messages:

Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display "x.y.com:5.0".
err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo  couldn't initialize OpenGL, expect
problems

This happens even when the app runs in command-line mode, and presumably
it'll cause a problem sooner or later when I run up the GUI.

This comes up a lot on Google, usually with VNC, but I haven't found a
resolution. glxinfo runs Ok if I run it from the monitor (but reports no
direct rendering), but it displays the error message above if I run it
from the X terminal on the PC.

Any ideas?

Thanks -

PJ