[Wine] Problem with FlexLM licensing

Duane Clark fpga at pacbell.net
Thu Oct 4 12:52:39 CDT 2007

David Gerard wrote:
> On 03/10/2007, Paul Jackson <sa212+wine at cyconix.com> wrote:
>> I should write up some details on getting it running, but I've got some
>> concerns on legality. I guess the only dubious step is that I supplied a
>> drive ID when requesting a license, and set my Wine drive ID to that
>> number. I guess that someone could complain that this is against the
>> spirit (or the letter?) of the license agreement. On the other hand, if
>> I'd set Wine's ID first, and then requested a license for that ID, that
>> seems perfectly kosher to me.
>> Any thoughts, anyone?
>

> If really in doubt, ask the company "Do you want me to trial your
> lovely software, or not?"

It is not a trial license. The software is free, but is a "crippled"
version of software that costs a lot.

Since the software is free, I guess the main purpose of the license is
to track how many people are using it. Probably Mentor insists on having
that info; they may even charge Xilinx based on it. Since you are
legitimately registered and tracked, I really don't see this as "against
the spirit". Perhaps a technical violation, but I don't think the
company cares in this kind of a case.