[Wine] Question on preparing WINE

Jeffrey Cobb jeffreyjohncobbsmith at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 03:00:46 CDT 2007

I'm curious...

Since we can no longer use winetools or sidenet to install Windows
updates, components and other software (IE in particular) is there any
other method for installing needed components including IE (other than
IEs4Linux)?

I suppose using IEs4Linux would be okay if I could incorporate it into
my current wine configuration.  But it seems to create it's own
implementation of wine that my apps can't use.

Also, since I haven't been able to use the tools I can no longer
successfully install Office 2000.  I assume there was a number of
components installed by winetools and sidenet that made it possible to
install Office.

I should also mention I've tried using the "winetricks" script.

Has anyone figured this out or have any ideas I can check out?

Jeff

P.S. -- On the upside it would seem the latest release of WINE has made
Tribes 2 run considerably more stable than I've ever seen it run on
Windows.  No crashes whatsoever.  Go figure...