[Wine] Backup binaries

Paul Romanyszyn pgr at arcelectronicsinc.com
Tue Oct 23 11:32:40 CDT 2007

Jeffrey Cobb wrote:
>   I'm using Debian - Etch.
>
> Where does WINE keep it's binaries and libs so I can make a backup of my
> current working WINE prior to compiling -- just in case I mess something up?
>
> I know there's a number of files in "/usr/bin" that are prefixed with
> "wine*".  Are there any that DO NOT have a "wine" prefix that I should
> know about?
>
> And files in "user/lib/wine".
>
> I also noticed there's a number of files in "/usr/lib/win32".  I assume
> these are Windows codecs.  Does WINE use these files at all or change
> them when I upgrade or change WINE?
>
> I haven't found any config files for WINE other than my home dir in ".wine".
>
> Thanx in advance,
> Jeff

Linux does not work that way. You should be using your package manager
to install and uninstall the current wine you have.
Also when you compile wine from source you can run it from the compile
directory and you don't have to install it.
Wine keeps it's user data in the .wine folder under your user or can be
moved using the WINEPREFIX=/home/[user]/.winetest where [user] is your
user name and .winetest will be a new directory created by wineprefixcreate.
See the wine docs and wiki info on winehq.org for more info.
Paul R.