[Wine] Anyone compiled a 64 bit version from source??

Michael D. Johnson mikej163 at cableone.net
Tue Oct 30 02:18:07 CDT 2007

64 bit OS's run 32 bit applications.  Wine is a 32 bit application as
far as the OS is concerned. You can even have mixed mode programs where
some libraries are 64 bit and others are 32 bit.  Both Intel and AMD
make this seamless and invisible to the user.  The trick is to link the
right libraries at the right time.  The makefile has to know when it
needs to specifically call for the 32 bit library.   So yes, it is
possible and if you look at the winehq site you will see several people
have done it.

My problem appears to be not with identifying the 32 bit vs 64 bit
libraries but calls to the GLUT library.  The GLUT library provided by
SUSE does not have the calls that wine is hunting for and since there
are only about 70 different makes of the GLUT library, I need to know
which one they have been using so I can correct the library in my system.

Until that gets fixed, not even the precompiled version will run without
a GPF.

Mike