[Wine] WINEDLLPATH doesn't work

Kuang-Chun Cheng kcc1967 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 12:16:31 CDT 2007

On 9/25/07, Detlef Riekenberg <wine-users at web.de> wrote:
> On Mo, 2007-09-24 at 18:21 +0800, Kuang-Chun Cheng wrote:
> >  But if I out the DLL to ... eg. $HOME/.wine/drive_c/myDLL
> > and doing following
> >
> > export WINEDLLPATH=$HOME/.wine/drive_c/myDLL
> > wine myapp
> >
> > wine simply complain that my DLL not found !!
>
> This is correct.
> With "man wine", you can read, that WINEDLLPATH is the location, where
> the wine internal shared libraries (*.dll.so) are stored.
> Windows DLLS are searched in the same locations as on native Windows:
> In the actual Directory, in the System-Directory and in the PATH.
>
> > Well, I really don't want to put everything under system32 ...
> > could someone tell me what's wrong with my setup ?
>
> Put the dll in the Application Directory
> cd in the Application Directory
> wine <yourapp.exe>

Hi Detlef,

Thanks for reply.
My problem is myapp.exe use some GNOME dlls (created by xmingw) which
is located at /opt/xmingw/i686-mingw32/bin.
The following appraoch doesn't work:
PATH=/opt/xmingw/i686-mingw32/bin:$PATH wine /abs_path/myapp.exe

But this works OK:
(cd /opt/xmingw/i686-mingw32/bin; wine /abs_path/myapp.exe)

I know I can copy all required dlls to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
and this approach does work fine too.  But GNOME does has a lot of
DLL ... I really don't want to copy all of them to system32.

I were expected seting PATH=$GNOME_LIBDIR should solve my problem,
but looks like wine just doesn't search PATH for DLL ... this is not what
Documentation said.

Is this a bug ? Or I just mis-understand something.   Thanks

Regards
KC