[Wine] Re: wine don't handle hard coded resolutions & refresh rates

ossguy wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Apr 2 00:07:27 CDT 2008

Nate Homier wrote:

> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 1680 x 1050, maximum 1680 x 1050
> default connected 1680x1050+0+0 0mm x 0mm
> 1680x1050      50.0*
> 1024x768       60.0     61.0     62.0
> 960x600        63.0
> 840x525        64.0
> 832x624        65.0
> 800x600        66.0     67.0     68.0     69.0     70.0     71.0

This suggests that you have Dynamic TwinView enabled, which causes xrandr to report the refresh rate as a unique identifier representing a particular display mode rather than the actual refresh rate that is used for that display mode.  More details on Dynamic TwinView are available in Chapter 13 (http://kr.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/169.04/README/chapter-13.html) of the Nvidia driver README.

I also had Dynamic TwinView cause problems for me, but in a different way.  I was trying to play a 640x480 game, but the first 640x480 mode listed by xrandr caused the bottom sixth of the screen to be cut off.  The second mode stretched 640x480 to fit the screen, but Wine would not select it because it defaults to the first available mode.

To resolve this, I added a feature to Wine that allows you to force a particular refresh rate even if the application specifies a refresh rate of its own.  This would probably be useful for your situation.  Full details for how to use the feature are available in the third paragraph of my blog post (http://ossguy.com/?p=29).  Essentially it requires you to upgrade to Wine 0.9.58 and add a registry entry specifying the refresh rate you want to use.  The refresh rate you specify should be the refresh rate as listed by xrandr, not the real refresh rate.

Let me know if you have any questions about that.  I hope it helps.