[Wine] Can't install IE6

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Sat Apr 5 03:06:14 CDT 2008

On Saturday April 5 2008 07:41:20 awdoyle wrote:
> Using wine 0.9.58 on Ubuntu 8.04
> Like an idiot, I tried to install IE7 before doing the research to find
> that IE6 was more ideal with far fewer problems.  So after attempting to
> install IE7 and failing, I tried to install IE6, but in the terminal I get
> this response after typing wine ie6setup.exe:
>
> Warning: the specified System directory L"C:\\windows\\system32" is not
> accessible. wine: could not load L"C:\\windows\\system32\\ie6setup.exe":
> Module not found andrew at andrew-desktop:~$ Warning: the specified System
> directory L"C:\\windows\\system32" is not accessible.
>
> I often (but not always) get an additional pop up box telling me that the
> install failed because IE7 is already installed.  I've tried removing the
> dir, uninstalling/re-installing wine, and googling the errors, but so far
> it's a wash.  Any suggestion you can offer is very much appreciated  :?
>
> Andrew

	Run this:

mv ~/.wine{,.backup}
wineprefixcreate

	Then you will have clean WINE prefix.

	However, personally I do not recommend to install IE in default WINE prefix.
To use another WINE prefix you need to run this:

export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine.ie6
wineprefixcreate

	Then you can run wine to install IE or anything you want in this WINE prefix.
Just remember to set proper WINEPREFIX environment value to actually use it.
	Of course you can create launch icons on your desktop, aliases, etc. with
this WINEPREFIX in order to run Windows programs (installed within it)
quickly, without typing each time command in a terminal to export WINEPREFIX.