[Wine] Writing an automated install script

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Apr 6 01:30:57 CDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 11:23 PM, Timeout <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>  We will start on writing an automated install script for Trados on spare time, Friday next week.

Great.  As a first approximation, I would suggest a simple
one that does not try to automate GUI functions, only
the easy stuff.

>  Up to then I have to prepared the script *in a way that a developer will
> understand what I want* and being responsible for testing it under Linux.
>
>  Basically it will be an automated script which will be timed, i.e.
> if no install_ok after 20 min, it would be hanging somewhere and will abort and throw the log.
>  If install OK after the two runs (Trados and license server installation), it will throw a sign that the install is OK.
>
>  When prompted, the user will have each time 10 seconds to pick a choice, when after 10 seconds no choice is picked, the script will select the standard choice and continue.

Too fancy IMHO.

>  Now a couple of questions:
>  -In which language is exactly the script?

I would start with a shell script.  Don't even try to do anything GUI-like.
Just have the script wipe the .wine directory and do all the
winetricks steps neccessary, and start the windows installers.

>  -What happens when the software is waiting for a prompt (like you have to click "next), is it written in unix or conform to the windows program as a dos prompt?

You could use 'read' in the shell, but it's better to not have
anything like that.

Your goal should not be "wonderful automated installer" but
"bare minimum showing how to reproduce my problems".
- Dan