[Wine] How about this replacement of WINE.

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 09:05:51 CDT 2008

On 06/04/2008, hendrik at topoi.pooq.com <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 08:55:00AM -0500, bussuser wrote:

>  > Has the wine project team pondered whether to move WINE into the kernel?

> In my opinion, there's too much in the kernel already.  But I'm not part
>  of the wine project or part of the kernel team.

Although I can't find links right now, I understand the Linux kernel
developers have indicated they are not averse to a Wine kernel module
for services that are sensible to put into the kernel. I expect this
work will not be happening unless and until someone takes a strong
interest in it, though. And there'd still need to be userland versions
for operating systems that aren't LGPL-compatible (e.g. OpenSolaris at
present).

- d.