[Wine] How about this replacement of WINE

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Sun Apr 6 13:43:23 CDT 2008

From what I see on their descriptions (site is in Chinese!), this is NOT a
replacement of WINE. They place certain system services in the kernel and
have compile kernel-module (.ko) to service them. The kernel patches are very
small so this is not "bloat" as someone has stated. My main question is how
such patches effect OTHER common patches, especially real-time pre-emption.
If this be safe, I have no objection to trying it.

The "unified kernel" project patches WINE to use its kernel module, otherwise,
UTILIZES  WINE for its API layer. Since WINE is changed quite often,
continually patching and (re-) compiling is a lot of effort and maybe not
really worth it.

I could only see this thing growing if the main WINE trunk incorporated its
patches. The code would/should look more like:

if (unified-kernel-module modprobed in)
      use-patched version
else
      use-original version.

The patches should do this (maybe they actually do!) rather than simply
replace WINE code.

Then, those wishing to try kernel services could readily compile and use them
and those wishing to stay with vintage WINE could do so as well.