[Wine] Cannot get UNC paths to work correctly

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 10 05:53:40 CDT 2008

Hi all

I wish to run 'Enterprise Architect' from Sparx Systems[1]. The
installer runs just fine, and the application installs OK. The main
issue is that the license key file is a shared resource - many users can
utilise the same license file (legitimately I might add!) at the same
time, so the license file is located on a SMB share. The key file itself
has encoded into itself what the location of the key file should be, and
this is encoded as a UNC path:
  //razor/it/Enterprise Architect/sskeys.data

I have //razor/it mounted on /mnt/samba/razor/it . I have created the
appropriate structure under ~/.wine/dosdevices , as specified by 3.2.3
of the wine user guide:

> $ tree ~/.wine/dosdevices/
/home/tom/.wine/dosdevices/
|-- c: -> ../drive_c
|-- unc
|   `-- razor
|       `-- it -> /mnt/samba/razor/it
`-- z: -> /

When I attempt to change directory in a 'standard' file selection box by
typing in '//razor/it/' (in either Enterprise Architect or Lotus Notes),
I am told 'Path does not exist'. Explicitly specifying the file name
(IE, no browsing involved) also does not work.

The share is mounted with the uid of the user running wine, and I can
create/modify/delete files from the shell just fine.

I'm running wine-0.9.59, on FreeBSD 7.0.

Thanks

Tom

[1] http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/