[Wine] Testing basic direct x capability

Christoffer Sørensen sorensen.christoffer at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 05:26:54 CDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:45 PM, qwertymn <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Sorry to interfere with this dicussion, but i'm afraid a have bad news for you:
>  Here's my experience of using ATI-card + fglrx-drivers for more then 2 years :
>  Spontaneous reboots of my computer
>  Logging out from X-server at random stages in games
>  Never ran a successful complete test from wine's test suite in ddraw/d3d8/d3d9
>  Several crashes in multiple games that were reported to work fine in wine.
>  I could extend the list with several other issues, but let's keep it short:
>  I upgraded my computer 2 months ago, and got me an nVidia-card again (like i had before i got that damned ATI-card). Experience for last two months:
>  Never got a reboot/spontaneaous logout
>  Absolute stability
>  All test from wine run fine.
>  Nice performance/stability in games.
>  I'm sorry to say so, but untill ATI improves their Linux drivers I guess you're doomed :(. The only games i was able to run more or less without problems were OpenGl games like Doom3/ Serious Sam/ Enemy Territory. All DirectX Games just ran sh*t.
>  Go and get yourself a new card.... Regards.

Thanks for the info.

I guess as a Linux user you are always screwed by the proprietary
companies. Get yourself a Nvidia card and get it to work right now or
get an ATI card and expect 3D to work in two years when the radeonhd
drivers are working.

By the way, I have a Nvidia card (Geforce 4600 or something) in
another PC but the Nvidia drivers there locks up the computer so I
guess Nvidia is only good for some generations then they slowly
decade.

Regards,

Chris