[Wine] Forcing DirectX 8.1?

Eriond wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Apr 16 02:17:09 CDT 2008

Hi. I'm running Debian Lenny, and I'm having a problem with Wine and playing TF2.

I used to be able to play TF2 under DirectX 8.1 before updating to the newest version, no problems. I didn't even have to use the option -dxlevel 81, it was already set to it when I looked under video settings in TF2.

However, with Wine 0.9.59, it seems that the DirectX that comes bundled with Wine is upgraded to 9.0. That's good! I like nothing better than to see Wine get ahead.

But, there's a minor hiccup. Now, whenever I try to run TF2, it's stuck in DirectX 9 mode all the time (and this is unbearably slow). Regardless of whether I use -dxlevel 81 or not, it always says that my DirectX level in Team Fortress 2 is DX9, and it won't let me change it. I tried reinstalling Wine using apt, and then building 0.9.59 from scratch, but nothing seems to help.

Anyone have any idea how I can force TF2 to run DirectX 8.1? Thanks in advance!

Anyone have any ideas?