[Wine] Re: Winelibs question.....

AndyA wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Apr 16 08:54:07 CDT 2008

Ove Kaaven wrote:
> AndyA skrev:
>
> > I assume, athough it's not *that* clear to me that the product of the excersise is a straight elf binary that I can run from a prompt.
> >

> Actually, you're supposed to end up with a .so, which Wine can load
> after bootstrapping. Then your application launcher is either a symlink
> to Wine itself (after booting, Wine will look at how it's invoked and
> look for a .so of the same name in the same directory), or it can be the
> wineapploader shell script. The winelib executables that come with Wine,
> such as winecfg, use wineapploader. Or you can simply invoke your
> Winelib executables by typing "wine appname", where appname is the name
> of your .so file.
>
> As for reliability, I've seen someone claim to use Wine to run
> mission-critical web services because it crashes less often than
> Windows, so there's hope.

After playing some more last night I was beginning to come to the conclusion that you are suggesting here. Thanks for the input.

Strangely this is all quite sweet with ISAPI because the binary is loaded by the webserver and retained in the application pool. Much better approach. As I understand it, that's what FastCGI does too, but it's not been around long enough for me to develop any support for it. The last thing I really need at the moment is a greater number of unknowns.

The primary motivation behind the port to Linux is PhpBB (the cost alone wasn't enough). The trouble with Windows Server there is that database support for Windows 2008 is still pretty lame.

I had PhpBB3 working with Vista, IIS7 and SQLExpress. One night it stopped working (SQLExpress). After quite a bit of swearing I've now come to the conclusion that the only way I'm going to get it to work again is to reinstall Windows. :(

On the Windws Platform (Vista+) at the moment the only sensible option is MSSQL, and I want to be using something else, so that I don't have to be thinking about reinstalling OS's on remote machines.

So if I want to use MySQL, I guess Linux is my best bet. Another possibility is server virtualisation, but even that gets expensive, really quickly.

When push comes to shove, all I want is a setup that's cheap, I can fix remotely, and doesn't need fixing too often. (Just the world then)Optimisations I can sort later.