[Wine] Fwd: Winelibs question.....

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 11:51:15 CDT 2008

whoops, to list!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>
Date: 16 Apr 2008 17:50
Subject: Re: [Wine] Winelibs question.....
To: Ove Kaaven <ovek at arcticnet.no>

On 16/04/2008, Ove Kaaven <ovek at arcticnet.no> wrote:

 >  As for reliability, I've seen someone claim to use Wine to run
 > mission-critical web services because it crashes less often than Windows, so
 > there's hope.

We use Wine at work to run a Windows console binary from a dead
 company (so no prospect of porting or updates). It runs on a Linux box
 with a zillion other things, rather than a Windows box, where it would
 have to be pretty much the only thing running and cost us a Windows
 licence and the PC to run it on - so for us it's not reliability, it's
 sort-of-virtualisation. It's run flawlessly for years. It's the
 example I bring up whenever anyone claims Wine will never be ready for
 real-world use ;-)

 - d.