[Wine] Winelibs question.....

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Apr 16 16:09:34 CDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 1:59 PM, AndyA <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>  TBH I'm sick of all the products that really don't work very well. I think it's why I'm a bit miffed that winelibs don't seem to want to produce a binary that will execute from a prompt.
>
>  For me, my last experience with Unix was back in the early Nineties. All those neat simple features, just seem to have gone. Replaced by a thick layer of confusion and needless complication.
>
>  I've been digging today, and what I'm trying to work out at the moment is why "ld" won't easly be coaxed into producing a working absolute executable. I remember a platform somewhere in time, where it was difficult to get ld to produce anything but!

IIRC, the big reason is that win32 code requires a different memory
map than that usually offered by Linux.  We address that with a
preloader that sets up the needed memory map, then loads
glibc and the winelib app.

Now, if that preloader were integrated a bit more into the system,
it wouldn't seem so alien.  But there hasn't been much incentive
for anyone to change the core system simply to accomodate wine.
Perhaps once Wine can run 50% of Windows apps flawlessly,
we can agitate for it...

Until then (and perhaps not even then), wine (aka winelib) will *not*
be simply a library you can link in to your linux apps.  It's not
a simple thing to make win32 apps run on unix.
- Dan