[Wine] Eve and morals

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Wed Apr 16 21:38:29 CDT 2008

Nick_S wrote:
> James McKenzie wrote:
>
>> (snip)
>>
> Thank you for the well thought out answer instead of a knee jerk "NO! GET AWAY FROM ME WITH THAT!" post with no reasoning or elaboration.

Nick:

I worked in industry where 'borrowing' code could end you up in lots of
trouble.  First with the company's legal department, as you did not hold
title to the code and now they cannot legally release their product.
Second, with the legal department of whomever you 'borrowed' the code
from.  Gets really aweful from this point.  With Wine 'battling' a
rather large, legalistic company, we need to stay completely clean.  And
I mean 'squeaky' clean.  All of the code must be original code that does
not duplicate any of the code from that very large, legalistic company.
If we were to loosen our 'grip' in one area, it could spell doom to the
entire project.  Thus we cannot use code from other like projects and we
certainly cannot use code that has unknown origins.
So, thank you for your kind comments. and no we cannot use the code that
the OP hinted at for this project, ever.

James McKenzie