[Wine] Re: wine and detaching a remote X application

Zulan wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Apr 23 06:18:34 CDT 2008

Marcel W. Wysocki wrote:

> you can use xvfb and x11vnc to access the xvfb session

Thanks, That did it!

vitamin wrote:
> If all you want is to start an application on the remote PC that connects to your X server then all you need to do:
> On the X server (your local machine):
>
> Code:
> xhost +
>

> On the remove machine:
>
> Code:
> export DISPLAY=<ip_address>:0.0
> nohup wine program.exe&
> exit
>

> Where ip_address is the address of your local machine.
>
> BTW none of this has anything to do with Wine. It's a standard *NIX stuff.

If I am not mistaken that doesn't work, as it would require a permanent network connection between the local and the remote machine, which does not exist.

I do think this relates to wine, as this problem arises from running  a typical windows app (GUI) in a typical linux setting. There also is this null display driver which I didn't knew if it helped in my scenario. The advanced wine faq already mentions some X tricks, and I would like to include this one aswell. But anyway thanks for the standard *NIX solution :)

- Zulan